Please note, congestion at Mombasa Port has slowed port operations, vessel schedules and movement of vessels in & out which in turn is affecting container moves to and from ICDE Nairobi
Production at the terminal has lowered and main reasons for the same are as follow;
- Required on carriage by rail for ICD Embakasi bound cargo should be at least at 1000 teu / day to keep up with discharged volumes – This has slowed leading to congestion in import stacks.
- High number of empty containers available for loading from Mombasa are creating delays in the empty (export)stacks
- Low productivity on vessels alongside due to limited space for discharge.
The Port Authorities are working on improving matters and taking the following actions:
- Increase the availability of tugs to 95 per shift to increase movement of containers between stack and port side. Work in progress
- Improve the use of the 10.000 teu ground slots through re-stacking and proper segregation of cargo. Work in progress